Saturday, January 29, 2005

What's a Ballast Cover?

Remove fixture; place the lens and ballast cover off to the side. If required remove appropriate knockout(s) for power supply entry.

I should have been playing War of the Ring, but instead I spent three hours installing a light fixture. All in all, I'm pretty impressed with the design of this fixture. For one thing, I don't have to fiddle around with screws and bolts to get inside the thing. So why did I spend an hour fiddling with screws and bolts? Because the manual sucks. Probably every electrician in the world knows what a "ballast cover" is, but I still haven't the faintest. I guess it's the part that snaps away from the housing when you apply pressure near the notches. Now if only the manual had included a sentence like "apply pressure at the notches to remove the ballast cover from the housing."

American Fluorescent Corporation, regular shmos like me are buying your product. We're driving down to Loews on a Sunday. We aren't electricians. Please write your manual so we can understand it!


Post a Comment

<< Home