Tuesday, March 22, 2005

A Personal Note

In January, I lost my job. I'd like to say it was the best thing that ever happened to me, but honestly, it's a little too early to call that one.

After the shock of unemployment, I started thinking hard about what I do for a living, and how I can do a better job, and not just a better job, but a really amazing job. I also started blogging seriously about work, technology, and the consulting industry. I also started refining my service offerings and looking for ways to market myself more effectively.

Then I got another shock. My father, diagnosed with lung cancer last year, was taken into hospital. I rushed back to Canada to be at his bedside. My father passed away painlessly, surrounded by three generations of offspring, at the age of 79. My father was a successful administrator and later consultant, and was a great inspiration to me.

It's been hard to get back into the swing of things. Dad's death took the bite out of the initial frenzy of (frankly) fear-based activity. I think I've got a better perspective on things now. My first act has been to separate this consulting blog out from my personal blog so I can focus myself a little better.

I'll keep posting my consulting experiences and learnings here. I have skills, but in the world of business I'm a newbie, and that's a humbling thought indeed.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Handyman Farmington said...

Appreeciate this blog post

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home