Friday, April 22, 2005

Learning to Blog

Tonight I am teaching my first class on personal business blogging. We've got a photographer, an Ebay merchant, a storyteller, and a doctor with a highly technical specialty, so it should be a pretty interesting mix. One of the things I'm going to talk about is how to identify your audience.

How do I figure out who my audience is? What do I say to them?

  • What do you enjoy talking about?

    Fun blogs last longer and work better. Chances are that if you're passionate about a topic, that will come out in your posts.

  • Who do you enjoy talking to?

    These might be the people you want to start a conversation with?

  • Are there any questions that you get asked over and over?

    If the answer is yes, that's a great sign. Not only do you have some valuable information, but you're already an authority!

  • What are your customers interested in?

    The best answers to the "who is my audience" question usually start with "people interested in...".

  • What do I want to learn more about?

    It's not just a one-way channel. Blogging is as much about what you learn as what you can teach.



UPDATE: Class is out and I'm very pleased with the results. The students asked good questions, and I think we're going to get some good blogs going as a result. I've also got heaps of notes on how I can improve my class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home