Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Who's in Your Lunch Circle?


Think about the people you have lunch with. Same people every day? Lunches alone or at home? Muffing at your desk, one hand on the mouse? No time for lunch?

I was thinking about this the other day, and I realized that I regularly lunch with a selection of nearly a dozen different people from a half dozen different companies. More than anything else, it's my lunch breaks (and the occasional happy hour) that keep me in touch with what's happening elsewhere in the world. It's also in conversations over lunch that we've generated some of our best ideas. OK, we've generated some stinkers as well, but those are instructive too.

It's not just about meeting with customers and clients. Most of the people I meet with are former co-workers or fellow consultants. Talking to other people in your business is vitally important. It gives us an opportunity to share expertise and information about what's going on in our industry. If the only consultant you talk to on a regular basis is yourself, your world view gets warped pretty quickly.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never eat alone.

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the layout of your blog... nicely done. I just need to learn how to do html better.

www.developingcareers.com

7:59 PM  
Blogger SNAKE HUNTERS said...

Interests that parallel:

Religion, politics, gaming industry
and the War that began on Nov 4,
1979 (most Americans don't realize that!). Your comments welcome.

For my info blog, see

www.lazyonebenn.blogspot.com

8:43 PM  
Anonymous allen macmillan said...

" If the only consultant you talk to on a regular basis is yourself, your world view gets warped pretty quickly..."

is that what happened to me?? ;)

3:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I eat alone with mouse in one hand.thanks for this wonderful post! Once this economy downturn started, i feel many have reduced to have lunch with others..


Career Path Questionnaire

3:38 AM  
Anonymous Seattle Automotive said...

Shop locally in Seattle. Compare prices, find directions and buy online from businesses found in the Shop in Seattle Automotive category. Choose from stores and shops in your community.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Amarjit said...

Paris Apartment

Wow, that really impressed me! I like your ideas. And the cartoon made it even better! Thanks for sharing your concept!some things diffrence

10:49 PM  
Blogger SPOT Coupons said...

Promotional SMS is used to send offers, discounts or promotions to new and existing customers.

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home